Monday, December 15, 2008

Week 7

Day 43 - October 26th - Sunday Deadlines
This shot makes me laugh every time I see it because it was the quickest night of shooting out of the whole project. I did have good reason for this though. I knew I was going to be up late finishing skateboard graphics I did which can be seen at Eastside Longboards so I knew I needed a quick shot. I hadn't used my fridge yet as a source of light, plus this whole shoot only set me back about 15 minutes. One of the best parts of the project was trying to figure out how this photography could fit into my day to day life.
Day 44 - October 27th - Monday Draw What You Want
My buddy Ian Johnson came out with me for another night of shooting. I really liked this huge tree in Sellwood Park and this is how we ended up using it. I used a LED Bike Light to Light him up and then draw the flames underneath him. This sadly was the night I lost my shutter release chord in the park.
Day 45 - October 28th - Tuesday Stark Curves
I wanted to go out skating one night and new I'd have to get my shot for the night in at some point so I shot Robin McGuirk of Eastside Longboards dropping a right handed turn on a Stark Street run we frequently skate in SE Portland. I used a handheld flash and a street light provided the rest of the lighting.
Day 46 - October 29th - Wednesday Portland Freeways
This was one of my less experimental shots but was fun to see how long I could hold the shutter open by hand since I had lost my shutter release chord recently. I was on my way back from yoga this night and crossed over this overpass and realized this was the perfect place for this style of shot. I believe this was an exposure of around a minute and a half.
Day 47 - October 30th - Thursday 2nd Time is a Charm?
My buddy Robin came over one night before a night of downhill skateboarding Zoobomb and I asked him if he'd help me with a picture. As you have seen earlier on I had tried this with just legs and feet and I had wanted to do this shot for a while. Believe it or not this is after only the second attempt and I couldn't have done it any better lining things up. This shot is tricky in the sense that we were running around in the dark exchanging a flashlight and positions and somehow lining up within a half inch or so. The light painting technique is used but with a cylinder of paper around the end of the flashlight to direct the light only where I wanted it.
Day 48 - October 31st - Friday Halloween's Camera
It was Halloween. What's more appropriate then a camera carved into a pumpkin? I thought it was kind of funny that I bought the pumpkin on Halloween, carved it, took my shots, then threw it away before anyone else ever saw it. All that work so I could chuck it in the garbage. Day 49 - November 1st - Saturday Projected Light
This particular shot isn't as much about what the words say but about the process that made those words show up. I cut a somewhat simple stencil out of paper from the side of a grocery bag and projected light through it. I had an old antique metal suitcase I set up as the texture which I could project onto. For the light I used a 3 LED headlamp with green mylar coving the light. The tricky part to this shot was getting the light focused.

No comments: