Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Week 1

Day 1 - September 14th - Sunday
Between Train Cars

My first night of shooting I wandered down along hwy 30 and into the train yard. I crawled underneath the train closest to the road and started shooting, until one of the trains started moving and I decided to duck out before I got caught or run over.


Day 2 - September 15th - Monday
Caboose

I've wanted to shoot this somewhat abandoned caboose for a long time and this project finally gave me the reason. What was interesting about this is that I went back later on in my project when I had a different idea and all of the tagging on the train was different, so it looks nothing like this now.


Day 3 - September 16th - Tuesday
Shadows

Simple yet one of my favorites. The lights from a nearby gas station leave a shadow of a chained up bike.

Day 4 - September 17th - Wednesday
Mirror and Transparency

This shot was done in my bathroom and I used the fact that my apartment is old to my advantage. I have pull chain lights for my whole apartment and I specifically have 2 in my bathroom. I hooked a white thread to the one in the background of this pic and I'm pulling the other one behind the mirror that's angled out. Basically I use the pull chain lights as a real quick off/on flash.

Day 5 - September 18th - Thursday
Fun Center

Morgan came out with me this night and a lot of really interesting pictures were taken down at the Fun Center in North Portland. It's basically this old abandoned factory with graffiti sprayed on just about every inch of it. For this shot I used a handheld flash with red mylar. Morgan waved a blue glowstick and we had two red LED bike lights on the floor behind the door opening.


Day 6 - September 19th - Friday
Playing with Time and Shadows

I wasn't sure what to do this night. I ended up in a parking lot in the Pearl District by one of the parks. This was about a 15 second exposure and I used the lighting of the parking lot to make the shot, and a quick change of position.


Day 7 - September 20th - Saturday
360 Flip

This night I was down in Salem, Oregon for a Nighttime Longboard Crosstown Race. After the race I'd knew I'd have Casey available for this idea. I attached glowsticks to the bottom of his board and used a handheld flash with green mylar over it while he tried and eventually landed a 360 Flip.

No comments: